Application and Selection Process
The UB-UZ HRTP focuses on the development of a group of highly trained individuals who will then pursue their research programs within the multidisciplinary environment at UZ with continued mentoring and career development. In this post-graduate research fellowship training program, trainees will benefit from mentored interactions with faculty and health professionals with established clinical/translational and laboratory research environments. The UB-UZ HRTP is currently seeking trainees in the following areas:
- Health Information Technology
- Clinical Research Ethics
- HIV Clinical Pharmacology
The UZ College of Health Sciences assumes the primary role in recruiting individuals with an interest in applying to the UB-UZ HRTP. HRTP faculty mentors identify qualified applicants through a variety of mechanisms with an emphasis on recruiting from the UZ College of Health Sciences. These recruiting efforts are part of an ongoing recruitment and retention plan that includes programmatic announcements, faculty presentations and individual recruiting efforts at biomedical research conferences.
If you are interested in this challenging fellowship training opportunity, please review the application requirements below. To access the application, click on the Student Activity link from the main menu.
Individuals will be encouraged to complete the application materials, which include the following:
- application form
- current resume or curriculum vitae
- official transcript
- one-page letter of intent
- letters from two supporting references
- research proposal, as approved by the UZ Higher Degrees Committee
Applicants must be registered as postgraduate students by the Higher Degrees Committee of the University of Zimbabwe College of Health Sciences since courses offered through the UB-UZ HRTP will be aimed at building capacity to carry out pharmacology research within the college. Application materials are submitted online with the assistance of the UZ HRTP Administrative Staff.
Application Review Process
Application materials are reviewed by the HRTP ESC and each applicant is designated with a ranking. Applicant materials and the ranking will be forwarded to the HRTP Training Advisory Group (TAG) for additional review of the proposed candidate outcomes (accept/denied). The review criteria utilized for ranking applicants include the following:
- Highly motivated applicant with considerable interest in advancing HIV clinical pharmacology and therapeutics research in Zimbabwe.
- Applicant with an interest in an academic career with a research component.
- Prior training with strong didactic coursework and experience in an established research environment.
- Demonstrated interest in working in a collaborative HIV research environment.
Tips for Constructing your Letter of Intent
Your letter of intent should be addressed to the UB-UZ HRTP Executive Steering Committee, and should include a brief description of your project proposal (as approved by the UZ Higher Degrees Committee). You should include a statement on the role your project has with relation to the goals of the UB-UZ HRTP program, and Zimbabwe’s healthcare priorities. Your letter should demonstrate that you:
- Are a highly motivated applicant with considerable interest in advancing HIV clinical pharmacology and therapeutics research in Zimbabwe.
- Are an applicant with an interest in an academic career with a research component.
- Have prior training with strong didactic coursework and experience in an established research environment.
- Have demonstrated interest in working in a collaborative HIV research environment.